Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Consumer Reports: We Can’t Recommend the iPhone 4

Consumer Reports Can't Recommend iPhone 4We knew the iPhone 4 had some serious antenna issues. The reason? We’re holding it wrong, or at least that’s what Apple is telling us.
After carrying out several tests, Consumer Reports actually think the problem doesn’t come from the way we’re holding the phone but from the phone itself.
Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4’s signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that “mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.”
The tests also indicate that AT&T’s network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4’s much-reported signal woes.
So apparently, the problem is indeed related to the hardware and not to AT&T or even the software, as Apple wants us to believe.
The signal problem is the reason that we did not cite the iPhone 4 as a “recommended” model, even though its score in our other tests placed it atop the latest Ratings of smart phones that were released today.
If you want an iPhone that works well without a masking-tape fix, we continue to recommend an older model, the 3G S.
Although the iPhone 4 is a great device, Consumer Reports can’t recommend it because of the huge antenna flaw.
As for me, yes the antenna issue really bugs me but if you ask me, I’ll say go for it! Get yourself an iPhone 4. Although I am already at my 3rd iPhone 4, I think it’s the best iDevice I’ve owned so far.
What do you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment