Saturday, July 10, 2010

Confessions Of A Jailbreaker With No Jailbreak

No JailbreakIf you read this blog on a regular basis, you probably know by now that I am a firm believer in jailbreaking the iPhone. To me jailbreaking opens up all the doors that Apple intentionally closes on the iPhone.
Thanks to the jailbreak community, we had copy/paste before Apple introduced in with iOS 3. Thanks to the jailbreak community, we were able to run multiple apps in the background a year before Apple introduced this new feature in iOS 4. Well, you get my point.
Before getting my new iPhone 4, I was stressing out about not having a jailbreak on it, thus not being as productive as I used to be. I was hoping the Dev Team would release an iPhone 4 jailbreak within a day or two of the i4 launch but even though they confirmed Spirit will work on the latest iPhone, the jailbreak has yet to be released.
It’s now been about 2 weeks since I became jailbreakless and to be honest with you, I don’t miss it as much as I would have thought. I am actually doing pretty well without my jailbreak.
What jailbreak apps am I missing the most?
MyWi – Not being able to tether my iPhone 4 is almost painful. How am I supposed to get internet access in airports if I can’t tether my iPhone?
Winterboard – Even though iOS 4 lets you customize your home screen, I am really dying to get rid of this ugly dock, change some of the icons (mostly the folders icons), and get my matte UI mod.
InfiniDock – That’s another app I’m missing a lot. I love having 5-6 apps in my dock so I can easily get access to them from any page on the home screen.
ActionMenu – I kinda replaced this app with PasteBot, which is doing the job pretty well but it’s not as convenient as ActionMenu.
Xpandr – I use PasteBot as well to replace this application. Again, it’s working ok but it’s not as convenient as using Xpandr as I have to switch back and forth between apps to do things I was able to do in 3 taps before.
At first I was missing ProSwitcher but I got over it. Sure I like being able to choose what apps I want to run in the background but I’m getting used to Apple’s way.
I am still anxiously waiting for an iPhone 4 jailbreak and I’ll sure be right on it as soon as it comes out but in the end, I’m doing much better without a jailbreak than I expected.
What about you? How are you doing without a jailbreak? What apps are you missing the most?

No comments :

Post a Comment